On Sun, May 13, 2001 at 05:42:00PM +0100, Simon Cozens wrote:

> On Sun, May 13, 2001 at 05:35:24PM +0100, David Cantrell wrote:
> > Do the Lib Dems think along these lines?  No-one knows cos the LDs have
> > never seemed to have any policies ever.
>
> Actually, I like the idea of parties which don't have any policies. They're
> supposed to represent what we tell them to support, remember, not the other
> way around.

Hey, what if we had a system where we just elected a *candidate* we
liked, like one for each local area or something? Pretty crazy, huh?

Just as a system of elected representatives removes a level of public
control from a democracy, so the addition of party structures still
further destroys the individual's voice. It's a final and short step to
a single party and all the Orwell you can eat. But, since the two
parties (Yes.) are exactly the same now, it's already happened anyway.
I am Jack's total lack of surprise.

Martin