On Mon, May 14, 2001 at 09:51:37AM +0100, Jonathan Peterson wrote:

> Actually, a hereditary democratic

hereditary democratic - an oxymoron, surely.

>                                   chamber such as the (old) house of lords
> strikes me as being a pretty good system. Swapping 'randomly selected' for
> hereditary would be a small improvement, possibly. Swapping 'selected by
> Tony Blair after consultation with his own sycophantic smile' for
> hereditary strikes me as pretty ******** stupid, corrupt and evil. Cough.

swapping "any politician" for "Tony Blair" likewise.  Random selection for
the upper house seems reasonable.  Of course, just like with jury service,
people would desperately try to get out of it.

--
David Cantrell | [EMAIL PROTECTED] | http://www.cantrell.org.uk/david/

  Rip, Mix, Burn, unless you're using our "most advanced operating system
   in the world" which we decided to release incomplete just for a laugh