Martijn Brekhof wrote:

> I am wondering what the actual target audience is. Should someone holding a
> basic certificate be able to work in a professional environment or should
> he or she only be able to get his or her own linux system running?
> In other words are we talking about sysadmins or users?

The idea behind the introductory certification is mainly to be able to give
something to schools and universities that is actually attainable within the
scope of a class being taught at such institutions. Feedback from academic
partners of LPI is fairly consistently that LPIC-1 contains too much material
and cannot be taught and examined in the time available.

The LPI introductory certification should serve as a »stepping stone« to more
advanced LPI certifications (i.e., LPIC-1), which explains why its content is
almost completely a subset of LPIC-1. This means that as an alumnus of the
introductory certification one has that much less work to prepare for LPIC-1,
which helps those institutions that *do* go for LPIC-1 and can offer the
introductory certification as a nice side incentive. At the same time, it
should serve as an introduction to *Linux* and FLOSS as opposed to generic
computer-user stuff (browsing the Web, writing e-mails, using a word
processor), since (a) that isn't all that different from using other
platforms, or indeed FLOSS on those platforms as the major applications such
as Firefox or Chrome, OpenOffice.org or LibreOffice, Thunderbird, etc. are all
available on those platforms too, and (b) there is no consensus whatsoever how
these things ought to be made into a Linux-based exam, especially one that is
to be delivered on the cheap.

undergraduate student«, presumably with a background in using non-Linux
computers and applications. Which is not to say that the introductory
certification might not be interesting for other people, too.

Anselm
(speaking for himself, as always)
--
Anselm Lingnau ... Linup Front GmbH ... Linux-, Open-Source- & Netz-Schulungen
anselm.ling...@linupfront.de, +49(0)6151-9067-103, Fax -299, www.linupfront.de