Well, Samba 3 and Samba 4 aren't much different.  The protocol in
Samba 4 is the same as Samba 3.

Samba 4 introduces the DC option, but not all distros include it.
E.g., Red Hat has gone the IPA route for AD Forest Trusts, instead of
allowing a Samba Server to be a DC in a native AD Forest.

Bryan J Smith  -  http://www.linkedin.com/in/bjsmith
E-mail:  b.j.smith at ieee.org  or  me at bjsmith.me