While wikipedia isn't the most trustworthy source, it's opening blurb seems
to dispute what you're saying:

"3G telecommunication networks support services that provide an information
transfer rate of at least 200
kbit/s<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kilobit_per_second>.
However, many services advertised as 3G provide higher speed than the
minimum technical requirements for a 3G service. Later 3G releases, often
denoted 3.5G <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3.5G> and
3.75G<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3.75G>,
also provide mobile
broadband<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_broadband> access
of several Mbit/s <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mbps> to
smartphones<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smartphone>
 and mobile modems <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_modem> in laptop
computers."

Seems to imply that to be called XG, a network has to provide a minimum
transfer speed according to IMT-2000 specs. Now, the marketeers may be
misusing the terms, but shouldn't one expect a "4G" network to provide a
certain minimum speed?

P.

--
Evolution (n): A hypothetical process whereby infinitely improbable events
occur with alarming frequency, order arises from chaos, and no one is given