It is not just the strings; the lute must be really able to amplify
the sound properly.
The strings  should be gut, but I would not use ones that are too low
in tension.
You can experiment tuning the lute down a whole step. As you tune the
lute down, you will reach a point where you can play very near the bridge.
On my lutes with very, very thin soundboards it sounds fine, but that
could be some other element of the construction.

I think the sound is very interesting, it is not particularly hard to
do, but ultimately for me has less
total tonal range than other techniques, in particular in regard to
tenuto style.
Perhaps that can be done with more practice, but the sound has a very
distictinctive attack.
Another technique that is difficult to near do near the bridge is the
soft crescendo,
wherein a center plucked note builds resonanace after the pluck.
dt