>From 'Necessarie observations belonging to the lute, and lute playing'
John Baptisto Besardo, translated by John Dowland, A Varietie of lute
lessons,
London, 1610.

Best wishes,

Denys

-----Original Message-----
From: David Rastall [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 15 December 2007 15:51
To: Martin Eastwell
Cc: Martyn Hodgson; Martin Shepherd; Lute Net
Subject: [LUTE] Re: RH on the bridge?

On Dec 15, 2007, at 10:19 AM, Martin Eastwell wrote:

> make a point of talking about historical RH techniques at some point,
> and have quite often encountered surprise and even hostility from
> students because what I was suggesting flew in the face of the
> teachings or performing practice of their favourite lute "guru".

Then the "guru's" are wrong.  The teachings and performance practices of the
Old Ones are what we should be studying, and alas, this goes against what we
learn from the "gurus" who have invented this hybrid thumb-in / thumb-out
thing because they themselves can't handle the way the lute was played in
the old days.  Yes, we are going to have to drastically re-evaluate our
ideas of what kind of sound the Old Ones were actually going for!

My $0.02

DR
[EMAIL PROTECTED]