On Dec 15, 2007, at 4:44 AM, Martin Shepherd wrote:

> Rob MacKillop has just recorded a piece with the little finger on
> the bridge...

> Has anyone else tried this?

If iconography is anything to go by, I would say quite a few.  The
little finger on the bridge is a little extreme, but it looks as
though just about everyone in the 17th and 18th centuries seem to
have played with some version or other of thumb-out.

Many of us in the 20th-C revival days gave up thumb-out altogether,
and for 16th-Century playing I still think thumb-under is the best
way to go.  But now, in the post-revival period, we're taking a fresh
look at thumb-out and I personally am glad to see that.  It seems to
have been the way lutenists played for at least half of the 300 year
reign of the the lute as a household instrument.

For me personally:

Advantages of thumb-out playing are that I can get greater resonance
playing close to the bridge, which can mean more volume, but usually
just a bigger sound (bearing in mind that I play large instruments);
and more facile articulation with thumb and fingers not so closely
associated in function as they are in thumb-under.

The main disadvantage is that I don't always get the tone quality I
want.  It sounds coarse to me, possibly because I'm not using gut.
Tone quality, as someone recently reminded us on an earlier thread,
is everything.  So the challenge as I see it is to develop ways to
get acceptable tone quality out of thumb-out (even using sythetic
strings).

David R
[EMAIL PROTECTED]