Dowland suggests playing sweetly in Varietie. I think the sound must be clean with no buzzing or rattling and even, between base and treble. If you get that it does not matter how you got there. Regardless of what "Guru" you invest your technique with, playing the Lute is still about the music. It is amazing how we have come full circle once more, where by we are left with the option of criticizing those who came before and those who are now playing the instrument.

It must be an obligatory thing that those new to the study must reject the methods and techniques of those who have preceded them. I remember when I started how much Julian Bream was pilloried for the way he played, now people are starting to emulate him once more---go figure. ----- Original Message ----- From: "David Rastall" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Martin Eastwell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: "Martyn Hodgson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; "Martin Shepherd" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; "Lute Net" <lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>
Sent: Saturday, December 15, 2007 10:50 AM
Subject: [LUTE] Re: RH on the bridge?

On Dec 15, 2007, at 10:19 AM, Martin Eastwell wrote:

make a point of talking about historical RH techniques at some
point, and
have quite often encountered surprise and even hostility from students
because what I was suggesting flew in the face of the teachings or
performing practice of their favourite lute "guru".

Then the "guru's" are wrong.  The teachings and performance practices
of the Old Ones are what we should be studying, and alas, this goes
against what we learn from the "gurus" who have invented this hybrid
thumb-in / thumb-out thing because they themselves can't handle the
way the lute was played in the old days.  Yes, we are going to have
to drastically re-evaluate our ideas of what kind of sound the Old
Ones were actually going for!

My $0.02

DR
[EMAIL PROTECTED]