On 2009-07-10, at 12:11, David Tayler wrote:

The problem here is that single stringing is historical,
..

Yeee...
There are men who loves "chaos", they need it to breath, to florish, in the best possible terms. Others cannot live without order, alwaye seeking knowledge and establishing harmony, whatever is the evidence.
Some are doing this and saying the other ;-)

The past is unpredictable, to say anachronistically, and largely in our hands. Look at this:
http://tinyurl.com/muyoco
Single strings or double courses? Of course, we know the man, his opus, obviously a swan neck lute, French tuning, bla bla bla, etc., etc. But stop automatic thinking, click again. Wishful thinking, a florish of knowledge or chaos of evidence? Is it a trick or a very simple matter of fact?

Single stringing is historical ;-)))

______