On Dec 4, 2009, at 12:34 AM, <[1]chriswi...@yahoo.com>
   <[2]chriswi...@yahoo.com> wrote:

   Its important to keep in mind that melancholy was a fashionable
   artistic conceit at the time.  It really was a game of "I can out-sad
   you."  Thus, a lot of this rep has its tongue firmly implanted in its
   cheek and there are excursions into outright cheesiness.  C'mon, can
   anyone _really_ take that "jarring, jarring sounds" bit seriously???
   Melancholy was a fad precisely because it was a lot of fun to camp it
   up play the sad boy.  In essence, they're mocking true depression with
   a wink and a nudge.  Knowing this does not invalidate the repertoire,
   but it can help to add insights into performance.  There are enough
   subtle twists and turns in Dowland's settings of these poems to let us
   know that he was in on the "joke" as much as anyone else.  So taking
   everything with deadpan seriousness is a mistake.  I've always found
   performances that do this to be the most disappointing.

   Agree 100%. Rather like tragic girls in black turtlenecks in coffee
   shops in the 60s and 70s. (I don't know who came up with that image,
   but it sounds like Garrison Keiller) Many of the melancholy lyrics
   often have no object or reason for it. No one is mentioned as having
   caused the distress. Kind of like some blues in a way.

   Ed Durbrow
   Saitama, Japan
   [3]edurb...@sea.plala.or.jp
   [4]http://www9.plala.or.jp/edurbrow/