Mark,

   Yes, but they don't make a habit of it in the same way.  You'd never go from
string 1 with p to the 6th string with i in CG.  Nothing wrong with that, its
just a different technique.

   I currently have a new lute student (an accomplished classical guitarist)
who has no lute at the moment, but will be getting one shortly.  Until then,
we're just using his guitar.  He wants to eventually get into thumb under, but,
by way of introduction, I'm having him begin simply by playing pieces with
thumb-index alternation, still using ordinary classical guitar right hand
positioning.  It has been extremely difficult for him to NOT use his m or a
fingers in single-note lines, especially when a string crossing or voice
exchange is involved.  This is simply a matter of habit for him.  I think
taking the time to be careful about this will actually help out his guitar
playing in the long run.  Pat O'Brien's "Dalza" exercises are very helpful for
this and quite mind-opening for a lot of guitarists.

Chris