Yes, of course jazz standards will work on lute, either in old tuning
   or in d-minor tuning.  The point in playing effective jazz guitar is
   not just playing triad harmonies (always altered) but voice leading.
   Listen to old recordings by Dick McDonough and the player who took up
   where he left off, George Van Eps.  The latter spent his entire
   productive life demonstrating that improvisation with good voice
   leading in four parts was not only possible but the standard by which
   idiomatic playing translates into good music you want to hear.  That is
   why playing - and writing - polyphony is the best way to wrap your head
   around how any music fits on the lute.  Face it, guitar is easier to
   play, and block chords are simpler to understand.  This is why so many
   guitarists seem to gravitate toward music for baroque lute with its
   simpler treble - bass construction.
   Ron Andrico
   www.mignarda.com
   > Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2011 20:08:25 -0700
   > To: lute@cs.dartmouth.edu; dwinh...@comcast.net
   > From: chriswi...@yahoo.com
   > Subject: [LUTE] Re: a modern lute duet by Gilbert Isbin
   >
   > Dan,
   >
   > Lately for my own amusement and to force myself to really get to know
   the fingerboard, I've been making arrangements of jazz standards for
   baroque lute. I've been pleasantly surprised to find that most jazz
   harmonies fit very, very well on the fingerboard in d-minor tuning. No
   doubt this is because even the thorniest jazz chord is built on stacked
   thirds and d-minor tuning has thirds a-plenty. There is usually more
   than enough room to do a nice harmonic voicing plus melody, whereas on
   guitar one often has to compromise quite a bit. (Which compromises are
   made is part of the appeal of listening to a true jazz guitar master.)
   I've found that Jobim works particularly well on b-lute. Now, those
   diatonic basses are another matter...

   > This is obviously a use for the instrument which was never foreseen
   by the olden ones. (If anyone has Weiss's arrangement of "How
   Insensitive," please let me know.) Sometimes they involve patterns to
   which my poor fingers are totally unaccustomed, but if it works, can we
   say it is unidiomatic or non-lute-like?