Thank you Bruno and both Eugenes,

     Paul O'Dette's comments are very interesting - I'll read the whole
interview, Eugene.  ( I wonder what string length P O uses on his Renaissance
lutes).  Yes, scale passages are not a problem with longer string lengths, I'm
sure.  I would expect the problems to be with fingered chords, especially
barred chords.
     Your stretching exercises are impressive, E.K.  I can't achieve that kind
of stretch myself - with practice??  Certainly no problems for you in
performing the Dowland, at least using single stringing.

-Ned
On Aug 10, 2011, at 2:03 PM, Eugene Kurenko wrote:

> From interview with Paul O'Dette:
>
> Q: Much lute music would seem to be played more easily on smaller instruments
> than today's typical G lute, yet contemporary paintings don't show a
> preponderance of such small instruments. People living then certainly weren't
> bigger than us. Did they stretch more or perhaps weren't so attached to
> sustaining notes or am I missing something?
>
> A: This is a very interesting question which has many different aspects. I
> think early players developed more stretch than we do today, by doing
> exercises to keep the skin in between the fingers as elastic as possible,
> they also used various oils to keep the skin flexible, they developed
> stretching techniques which involved releasing the thumb from the back of the
> fingerboard, and also used the left hand thumb to play some bass notes. The
> string spacing of most Renaissance lutes is very tight at the nut, making the
> lateral stretches easier than on today's wider spacing. The problem this
> creates, however, is that it is more difficult to keep from brushing up
> against other strings with left hand fingers since the courses are closer
> together. This would suggest three things to me: 1) That they had smaller,
> thinner fingers which required less clearance, 2) that they came straight
> down with the l.h. fingers using only the tips of the fingers and 3) They
> were less fussy about li!
 ttle noises and buzzes than we are today. I suspect that they also did not
sustain bass notes to nearly the degree we do today.