Dear Martin & Martyn-
In regard to technique being a factor in controlling the effect of 8ve strings- my personal experience is that the thumb under/inside technique, bringing more finger/thumb surface to bear on the course as a whole & the more parallel (even absolute parallel if one wishes) position of the fingers to the strings allows an inherently softer touch- ("muffled and rotten" according to Stobaus, Vallet, et al who promoted thumb out/over) - which enables more thorough blending of 8ve & fundamental in addition to the softer touch itself. Also, thumb & finger touch become less dissimilar. Such is the way I handle my 8ve strung 6 course lute- although as I said earlier I still find counterpoint easier to manage to my satisfaction played on instruments with unison 4th & 5th, even if possibly anachronistic.

Touch, stringing, lute style, and music style are all elements of an entire picture; soft, uniform blending touch on smaller range instruments whose disparate 8ves make for a brighter, livelier sound necessary for gut- but must nevertheless be able to play polyphonic music clearly & effectively vs. the Baroque ideal of more widely separated & distinct treble-bass orientation on larger instruments with a more widely separated bass & treble range. Unison courses 1 to 5 work better for fingers that play not only from the thumb out orientation but also closer to the bridge, and the thumb- always going in one direction (free strokes or rest strokes as necessary or desirable) even able to pick out and singly play just the 8ve. or the fundamental.

The untidy parts of course fall in a vast middle ground (about 50-60 years worth?) - 7 to 10 course lutes muddying Vincenzo Galilei's ideal late period 6 course lute, differing but overlapping sound/composing/playing ideals that accompany these changes in instruments and their strings. Dowland alone (as far as we know) advocating for 6th course unison, but as Martin points out on his website, there is a period painting distinctly showing a 10 course lute strung with 8ves to & including the 4th course. So we do the best we can, hash out the means and results amongst ourselves.

One thing I've always hated- overspun fundies paired with ridiculously light nylon 8ves. Would have sent me screaming back to the classical guitar if I hadn't known there had to be a better way.

Dan