Dear Martyn and all,

I think the notion that the vihuela was strung in unisons is based on a source (which one, anyone?) which contrasts the vihuela with the "Flemish vihuela" i.e. the lute. Can someone help with the reference?

As far as I know there is no documentary evidence on the unison/octave issue except that Piasdor's tuning instructions imply a unison 4th course (but say nothing about the other courses).

I think it is wrong to assume that playing a string with the finger rather than the thumb will emphasize one or other octave - it's all a matter of technique.

All the best,

Martin