I think with a thickness of 1/9000 mm of the gold foil  there is not
much mass added when the rose is gilded..

Am 23.06.2013 01:13, schrieb Leonard Williams:
 How would a gilded rose affect the sound of the instrument?  Though the
 gilding would surely be thin, wouldn't that extra mass affect harmonic

 Leonard

 On 6/22/13 7:27 AM, "Martyn Hodgson"<hodgsonmar...@yahoo.co.uk>   wrote:

    Dear David,
    You are probably right - forget the papal rose line. Though perhaps the
    rose reference is some personal link known to those around G at the
    time. But perhaps a gilded rose is likely - I'm just cautious about
    proceeding from speculation to certainty............
    It does sound, tho', as if the thing had been nicked!
    regards
    Martyn

    From: David Van Edwards<da...@vanedwards.co.uk>
    To: Martyn Hodgson<hodgsonmar...@yahoo.co.uk>
    Sent: Saturday, 22 June 2013, 10:30
    Subject: [LUTE] Re: The "golden" rose
    Dear Martyn,
    Thank you very much for the reference, it would have taken me ages to
    find starting from the beginning!!
    But apropos your ideas of The Golden Rose Lute referring to the Papal
    golden rose there are these words following the Gaultier piece quoted:
    "The first part of the lesson representeth the enquiry after the lute,
    and kind promises for those that shall give any notice of it; the
    second part representeth first the trouble and hurly-burly of the
    seeking after the lute; and the conclusion is a complaint of the loss
    of the lute that can not be found. "
    Which does sound to me rather specific to an instrument.
    Of course it could be symbolic in some obscure way but the references
    to the papal golden rose you sent do not contain any idea of loss,
    rather the reverse, since the rose itself seems to refer to the
    resurrection and the blessings that follow. Any loss of those would
    rather undermine the whole edifice of Christianity!
    Best wishes,
    David

       Dear David,
         The piece appears in Chapter XV (f.69-87) of the MS 'Concerning
      the art
         of setting Lessons uppon the Lute'.
         I'm not sure if you'll find anything to elaborate on what
      precisely was
         meant by the 'golden rose' lute (ie an actual gilded rose or
      possibly
         some other association), since it says nothing about the 'Golden
      Rose
         Lute' itself but merely precedes the relevant piece with the
         words: 'The loss of the golden rose lute; a lesson of Old
      Gaultier upon
         the goat's tuning'
         Incidentally, you may find Dart's modern transcription (which is
         accurate as far as I can see) easier to read; it appeared in the
      1958
         Galpin Soc journal.
         regards
         Martyn