   From: Christopher Wilke <chriswi...@yahoo.com>
   To: R. Mattes <r...@mh-freiburg.de>; Anthony Hind <agno3ph...@yahoo.com>;
   Leonard Williams <arc...@verizon.net>
   Cc: Lute List <lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>
   Sent: Sunday, 23 June 2013, 13:57
   Subject: [LUTE] Re: The "golden" rose
     "Golden rose" is likely a simple metaphor meaning, "the lute with the
     perfect sound". Today we (in America at least) refer to a radio
     announcer with a deep, resonant voice as having a "golden throat".
     Obviously we don't mean it literally. Similar metaphors exist in
   olden
     time. St. John Chrysostom, famed for his preaching, literally means
     John "Golden Mouth." (A thread will now open on this list that will
     endeavor to speculate on the beneficial effects that gilding has on
   the
     physiology of the mouth and larynx, providing supporting evidence
   that
     we do, in fact, mean it literally.)
     Although we are continually hoping to find it, the search for the
     Platonic Ideal of Lutes is ultimately futile, therefore "lost" before
     it has begun.
     Chris
     Dr. Christopher Wilke
     D.M.A. Eastman School of Music