   From: Martyn Hodgson <hodgsonmar...@yahoo.co.uk>
   To: David Tayler <vidan...@sbcglobal.net>; lute <lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>
   Sent: Tuesday, January 28, 2014 1:59 AM
   Subject: Re: [LUTE] Re: archlute/theorbo in Corelli's Op. 1
   This doesn't address the point I made to you: that the fundamental
   difference between the archlute and the theorbo is in the manner of
   stringing - theorbos have the top one or two courses lowered from
   nominal; archlutes do not. If you don't think this is the case then, to
   repeat, what's your evidence (ie not merely simple assertion) for
   supposing otherwise?
   Further, it is widely understood that there is great diversity in the
   configuration and shape of these instruments - which is why it is
   better to identify an instrument in relation to its manner of tuning
   rather than to any particular physical feature.
   MH