   From: jean-michel Catherinot <jeanmichel.catheri...@yahoo.com>
   To: R. Mattes <r...@mh-freiburg.de>; lute <lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>; Martyn
   Hodgson <hodgsonmar...@yahoo.co.uk>
   Sent: Wednesday, January 29, 2014 2:14 AM
   Subject: [LUTE] Re: archlute/theorbo in Corelli's Op. 1
     Yes: Zamboni in tablature., but indeed you know that!. I consider
   that
     most of the arciliuto music is written in staff notation, may be this
     is a particularity of the instrument, and there is no doubt that
   tuning
     is not re-entrant (just have a look to Hasse's Cleofide, for
   arciliuto
     and compare with obligato parts for tiorba in Conti's Davide: ambitus
     and tessiture). . In staff notation, you mat consult, as I said,
     obligato parts  in Hasse's  and Haendel's operas (and many others it
     seems, I'm trying to list them), and the "concerti" from Harrach
     collection. It is not impossible that Zamboni was the composer of the
     solo sonata for arciliuto and the two aconcertinos' for arciliuto
   with
     two violins and organ (all anonymous and in staff notation) from the
     Harrach library formerly owned by Robert Spencer and now at the Royal
     Academy of Music, London; another similar anonymous concerto for
     arciliuto is among the newly-discovered items of chamber music at
     Rohrau.
     Concerning Mersenne, it is quite clear in french that while renaming
     the picture untitled "tuorbe" in "archiluth", he corrects a mistake
   he
     has  previously done (and he says explicitly that): and he gives
   quite
     clearly the tuning for thA(c)orbe (re-entrant, in A) and the two
     tunings for archiluth in G and A.
     Concerning the use of archiluth in France (this is not our subject,
     but...): at first 2 points, I don't know any tablature evidence of
   the
     use of vieil ton after ca1640. If this type of lute would be used,
   it's
     very strange that there is no written music for it (not a note). The
     only strange  book of Delair gives the impression that the tuning
   could
     be not re-entrant: but it's a quite basic book, which only gives
     solution for chords, not to play a B.C., and also dedicated to the
     harpsichord (did Delair even play the theorbo?). The others
   (Grenerin,
     Fleury,...) work with re-entrant tuning, even if the solutions could
   be
     strange for us (but what about the guitar?).
     I think the discontinuity you quote about the lines, with wide laps,
   is
     inherent to the theorbo. In very clear solo theorbo pieces, with no
     doubt on tuning as Saizenay, you find those strange laps, even in de
     VisA(c)e. It is also very common in guitar pieces, (have a look to
     Monica Hall's  site). And even  changing the tuning doesn't solve the
     problem: you allways find those dicontinuities. This begins with
     Piccinini from place to place,  but the campanella parts prove that
   his
     tuning was completely re-entrant.
     Le Mardi 28 janvier 2014 18h26, R. Mattes <[1]r...@mh-freiburg.de> a
     A(c)crit :
     On Tue, 28 Jan 2014 17:10:18 +0000 (GMT), Martyn Hodgson wrote

     > I'm sorry you find Bob Spencer's paper so very poor.
     No need to be sorry, esp. since I don't find Spencer's paper "very
     poor"
     (where did I write
     that?). I only tied to say that it a) shows it's age b) seems to be
   an
     "overview"-type of
     publication and hence tends to over-generalize c) seems to often
   prove
     my
     points more than yours.
     > My point about the tablatures (rather than staff notation) is that
     > it is with these that we find an unequivocal indication of the
     > tuning required for a particular named instrument.
     And my point is that a lot of the tablatures I kow of and played
     are much less unequivocal in indicating the required tuning - just
     as an example there seem to be some rather equivocal places in the
     Pittoni on my music stand ...
     > I'm not aware of
     > any tablature sources which require, for example, a re-entrant
     > tuning for an archlute (or various cognates). Do you?
     No, but there are hardly any archlute tablatures from the Corelli
     time I know of. Please provide some - I'm really interested in this
     topic.
     And of course there is the case of "inverse" reentrantness (read:
     excessive use of octave stringing) in the recently mentioned
     Basso Continuo/Partimento manuscipt from Rome.
     Cheers, Ralf Mattes
     [1][2]http://www.cs.dartmouth.edu/~wbc/lute-admin/index.html