Good morning to all,
I exchanged a mail with Monica without realising that I had sent it to her only
and not to her plus the list... My mistake ;-(  but not very important anyway.
I sometimes get confused in the choices to reply to messages...
Anyway, Monica quoted an part of the article in Le Mercure Galant relating
Corbetta's death in april 1681, and you can also read the original item
directly from the Bibliothèque Nationale digital library "Gallica" at the
following address :
http://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/bpt6k62252133/f133.image
Most of the Mercure Galant collection is available online and for downloading,
which, as you know, is a mine of information about what we are all interested
in !

The obituary of Corbetta refers to the participation of Corbetta to "les plus
pompeux spectacles" at the request of Louis XIV. It is true that he appeared in
his Italian colleague's (Lulli's) production le Ballet de la Galanterie du
Temps in 1656. Corbetta had been invited to France by Mazarin and appeared in
several "entrées" with guitars, including one in which he played along with the
young Louis XIV himself. He also accompanied the famous Italian singer Anna
Bergerotti and the French Anne de La Barre. The Petits Violons, a creation of
Lulli when he took over from his Italian predecessor Lazarini, made their first
appearance in this Ballet too. The text of the Ballet is available online in a
later copy (1705) by Philidor and the manuscript version is dated 1660, but it
prserves the names of those who took part in it, including "Corbetti" (sic) :
http://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/bpt6k1036755 (the Ballet in qustion begins on
page 57 of the ms).

Regarding the reason why de Visée was much more in demand than Louis Jourdan is
unknown. Maybe Jourdan was not such a good guitar player after all and the king
preferred the much more talented de Visée... Conjecture again as ever ;-)
Incidentally, this 1656 Ballet also employed the theorbo players de La Barre,
Vincent, Ytier (= Ithier), Grénerin, Le Moine and Hurel... What a dream team it
must have been ;-)

Best,

Jean-Marie