Hadn’t he hurt his finger then? IIRC, someone told me he had injured a finger,
so he played the whole concert with two fingers and thumb and I certainly
didn't notice any ill effects. Or maybe it was his LH that was injured. I can’t
remember, other than it was magical. In those days it was kind of rare to hear
a whole concert of one composer performed on a single instrument.

On Mar 4, 2014, at 8:39 AM, Peter Danner <peter...@aol.com> wrote:

> One of my previous posts referred to Hoppy Smith's 1979 album of de Visee
> theorbo music. The previous year, 1978, I had found myself at the LSA seminar
> held at Dominican College in San Rafael, CA, in my capacity as president of
> the Lute Society of America and editor of its Journal. Hoppy was at this
> seminar, and I had the good fortune to draw him for a roommate. At that time,
> de Visee was very much in his active repertoire. The night before his major
> concert of the week, as I was turning in after a long day, he said he hoped I
> wouldn't mind if he stayed up to practice his theorbo.
>
> I tell you there is nothing quit so serene as being lulled to sleep by the
> strains of Sylvains de Couperin as performed live by a fine player in the
> same room. I have never forgotten the magic of that moment. Louis XIV himself
> couldn't have had it better, Such are the privileges of office.
>
> Peter Danner

Ed Durbrow
Saitama, Japan
http://www.youtube.com/user/edurbrow?feature=watch