Ralf,

judged by the score of vol 1, the music would go up to the 17th fret on an instrument in
A. Examples of lute music in octave transposing clefs are too many to cite here. I too
thought of mandolin music, but the tuning wouldn't seem to fit. As becomes clear from
many chords of up to five notes, the best tuning would be a mandora in E, especially
since sonata IV requires a third and sixth course "in effetto maggiore", which
means F sharp, judged by the music. A lute tuning in E would already have that F sharp.
Maybe Anthony has a discussion of the possible instrumentation somewhere?

as the lute sound was understood mainly as a 16'-register in the
18th century, it is maybe not that much of a problem.

Which 18th century source does state this explicitly?

None. That's my conclusion based on the surviving evidence.

Regards

Stephan