   De : Miles Dempster <miles.demps...@gmail.com>
   Date : 04/07/2015 19:49 (GMT+01:00)
   A : Lute List <lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>
   Objet : [LUTE] Re: Paduane in Triple Time
   Perhaps there are two distinct dances whose names sometimes merge:
   1. Pavane: From the word 'pavo' meaning peacock. This would suggest a
   stately dance (duple time).
   2. Paduan: From 'Padua (triple time)
   Miles
   On Jul 4, 2015, at 9:34 AM, Edward Chrysogonus Yong
   <edward.y...@gmail.com> wrote:
   > Dear Collective Wisdom,
   >
   > I'm working on 'Une m'avoit promis' from Le Roy's Second Book for
   guitar, and rather puzzled. It's marked as 'Paduane' but has a 3, and
   is barred as three beats to the bar. Aren't pavanes always in duple
   time?