----Original Message----
From: hodgsonmar...@cs.dartmouth.edu
Date: 01/02/2018 11:34
To: "Lutelist Net"<lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>, "al...@musickshandmade.com"
<al...@musickshandmade.com>
Subj: [LUTE] Re: [Citara tiorbata]

Dear Alain,
   Perhaps Virgo is actually (Paolo) Virchi (1551 - 1610)?
   His father(?) was Giraolamo Virchi (or de Virchi) a maker of
citterns
   Martyn

   -------------------
   From: Alain Veylit <[1]al...@musickshandmade.com>
   Date: 28 January 2018 at 19:01
   Subject: [LUTE] Re: [Citara tiorbata]
   To: Lute List <[2]lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>
   Hi all,
   I revised a transcription I made some time ago of P.P. Melli's
Balletto
   del Ardito Gracioso (1616),  a suite for 9 instruments, including 3
   (arch)lutes and a citara tiorbata "cordatura del Signor Virgo). I am
   still struggling with the tuning of that instrument which was
   apparently more a cittern than a guitar. The Signor Virgo is nowhere
   be found on the Net, otherwise I would ask him about his tuning I
   guess, but given his elusiveness I am wondering if one of you may be
   able to provide more information than I was able to gather already.
   See: [3]http://fandango.musickshandmad e.
com/collections/preview/185.
   The instrumentation of that suite is definitely exotic : why would
the
   double-strung harp (alpa doppia) play the same notes as the viola
(da
   gamba presumably)?
   Happy Sunday,
   Alain