Hello Mr. Isbin

I can only answer your questions from my own perspective - naturally. I have
tried to do so below:
From: lute-...@cs.dartmouth.edu <lute-...@cs.dartmouth.edu> on behalf of
Gilbert Isbin <gilbert.is...@gmail.com>
Sent: Wednesday, March 14, 2018 5:33 PM
To: LS LUTELIST
Subject: [LUTE] Some questions

   Why is the lute world ruled by early music ? Because the lute is considered
an "early instrument" most if not all of the players were attracted to the
instrument through its music.
   Why are 90 or 95% of the lutenists afraid to play new music for the
   lute ? This is a poorly stated question, as in, "Are you still on parole?"
Rather than ask why lutenists are "afraid" why not ask why they prefer music
other than new music. For me, I like the style of the older music and despise
the pretentiousness of some new music.
   Why did guitarists, recorder players, cellists, pianists , oud players
   etc. took the challenge to play today's music and the lute world almost
   - with a very few exeptions - doesn't ? See above response.
   Why are luteplayers afraid to play something different ? Have you stopped
beating your mother?
   Why do lutenists think the lute must be played with a very specific
   approach ? Why do contemporary composers think "pretty" is a pejorative?
   Why are lots of lutenists looking down at lutenists who are trying to
   do something else with the instrument, with other techniques, new
   approaches? Again - poorly stated question. You ask why something that may
or may not be true is true. Like my asking why all composers insist on writing
for de-tuned mandolin?
  What is the future for the lute music if it stays to be that dogmatic ? Good
question.
   I guess Dowland and all the other wonderful lutes composers would have
   a good laugh with the today's lute world approach to the instrument. If
Dowland et al heard new music I believe they would choose another line of work.

   With kind regards,

   Met vriendelijke groeten,

   Bien cordialement,
   Gilbert Isbin