Richard, the unfortunate lutenist was the Mark Smeaton that Theo
   mentioned, and he probably did.

   On Wed, Aug 26, 2020 at 10:55 PM Christopher Stetson
   <[1]christophertstet...@gmail.com> wrote:

   Thanks for asking,  Theo, and hello all.
   Judging from what I see on facebook and youtube, there doesn't seem to
   be a dearth of young (well, young to me) enthusiastic and very talented
   players, and I suspect the  lute world will go on as it  has,  a small
   collection of passionate, dedicated, opinionated, sometimes irascible
   lovable misfits with a somewhat spectrum-y devotion to detail and an
   unquenchable appetite for discussion about whether a completely
   incongruous harmony in one measure of a composition in an ancient book
   represents the radical vision of the composer or a tired typesetter's
   mistake.   I was a minor player in the '70's lute revival, which I
   would say was a part of, but did not grow out of, the early music
   revival.   It had its good and not-so-good parts,  though it was a
   sweet time,  as most times are when you are young.   Yes, I think we
   were inspired by the take-it-to-the-streets, DIY aspect of the folk
   music revival, but also by the revivalist efforts of predecessors from
   the '50's like Michael Shaeffer, Konrad Ragossnig, Eugen Dombois, and
   the above-mentioned Julian Bream, who of course were inspired by Arnold
   Dolmetsch, Diana Poulton, Joseph Iadone, Walter Gerwig and others from
   the 1920's and '30's, back to Thomas Mace's irritated attempt to
   reawaken faltering interest in the 1670's.   And I don't think lute
   players in general have ever been seen as particularly sizzling except,
   as Phil Ochs might say, outside of a small circle of friends.
   Best to all, stay safe, and keep playing,
   Chris.

   On Wed, Aug 26, 2020 at 8:19 PM