> On Aug 26, 2020, at 6:38 PM, Richard Brook <richa...@mail.cs.dartmouth.edu>
> wrote:
>
> I note Henry VIII (source: Hilary Mantel) executed a lute player for sleeping
> (so Henry claimed) with Anne Boleyn.

That would be Mark Smeaton; hence Theodore’s foreboding about a Smeaton-themed
movie. But it has more or less happened already.  Smeaton was a significant
character in The Tudors, a Netflix series that seems (as far as I could see
from dropping in while my wife binge-watched it), to combine insight and
outrageous nonsense in roughly equal measure.

Addressing the larger question, assuming the world rebounds well from Covid
shutdown (a dicey proposition in the USA, I know) the lute should do just fine
because ensembles and orchestras should be a steady source of professional
gigs, and that area still seems to be growing.   Some responses here treat the
lute as if it were just a vehicle for solo lute music, which was never the case
except in the early days of the lute revival.