Jean-Marc Lasgouttes schrieb:

For the case of "ascii" I already know that I am going to remove it :)
If you read the linked bug, you will notice that we do create
ascii-friendly accents as needed since we switched to unicode. There
zero need to handle ascii differently from, say, latin5.

LyX doesn't know "ascii" as encoding; we therefore need to translate it to an encoding that LyX understands. LyX understands latin5.

TeX documents can have different encodings. The last listed encoding is
the document-wide encoding.

Please. Imagine at least that I know that and that I may have a reason to ask :) My question is why we do this weird "only do this if we have 1 language and 1 encoding" dance?
> What is the difference between a latin1 document in french (or english)
> only and a latin1 document in french and english?

You question sounded more general therefore my general reply.
To answer you question precisely:

When having only one encoding, this encoding can be set as h_inputencoding, otherwise h_inputencoding must be set to auto (the one of the document language). This is done in the routine for babel, but there are TeX files where the input encoding is specified before document or babel languages. Therefore do nothing when there is more than one encoding in the routine for inputenc.
I now updated the comments a bit to make this more clear.

 > Could you enlighten me? Otherwise, I'll just remove the code I do not
 >understand and look at what happens :)

Removing something that one doesn't understand is a bad idea. Imagine
you stop the water cooling of an atomic powerplant because you think its
unnecessary ;-).

Read again. I did not remove any code, I asked. However, you will have to try harder in order to convince me.

Well you wrote: "I'll just remove the code I do not understand and look at what
happens"
I could therefore not resist to drop a funny statement.

regards Uwe