"G. Milde" <mi...@users.sourceforge.net> writes:
>> OK. Then the document encoding unconditionally.
>
> Only if it differs from the language's default.

Maybe. Note that tex2lyx does not read Languages file currently (but I
think it should). We just have to be careful about what language is
handled at what revision of the file format.

>> We could add encoding to fonts, like we do for languages. But I do not
>> know how useful this would be.
>
> This would not solve the problem, nor would it be sensible. There are
> several possible encodings for German language (utf8, utf8x,
> latin1, latin12, ansinew, ...) and even more for "Latin Modern" fonts
> (utf8, latin1...15, koi8, ...).
> Are you sure you do not confuse inputenc with fontenc?

No, I meant have the user be able to say "this part of my text should be
output in cp1252". But I fail to see who would like that :)

I'll have a look at your example file.