Jean-Marc Lasgouttes schrieb:

OK. But if there is one encoding and two languages,

In this case we could set the encoding as it is but when the
inputencoding is specified after babel, we don't know if there is only
one or several encodings when we detect several languages. I therefore
set the encoding to auto in the babel routine. This doesn't harm and
is safe.

But what about ignoring the number of languages? It is about encodings,
after all.

We must do this:

- if there is only one encoding, use this
- if there are several encodings, set h_inputencoding to "auto".

So yes, this is independent of the languages. But what is there is only one encoding specified in the package loading command of inputenc but another one in the options of \documentclass. We already had some strange TeX files in the past. I therefore check for the languages in the \documentclass and the babel call. When this should be made independent of the language, we also need to check the encoding twice: in \documentclass and the inputenc call.

regards Uwe