Jean-Marc Lasgouttes schrieb:

LyX doesn't know "ascii" as encoding; we therefore need to translate it to an encoding that LyX understands. LyX understands latin5.

2007-02-16  Georg Baum  <georg.b...@post.rwth-aachen.de>

        * format incremented to 262: Allow ascii \inputencoding

What else do we need to make it work?

tex2lyx currently produces fileformat 264, so the special ascii handling can indeed go. I'll have a closer look later.

When having only one encoding, this encoding can be set as h_inputencoding, otherwise h_inputencoding must be set to auto (the one of the document language). This is done in the routine for babel, but there are TeX files where the input encoding is specified before document or babel languages. Therefore do nothing when there is more than one encoding in the routine for inputenc.
I now updated the comments a bit to make this more clear.

OK. But if there is one encoding and two languages,

In this case we could set the encoding as it is but when the inputencoding is specified after babel, we don't know if there is only one or several encodings when we detect several languages. I therefore set the encoding to auto in the babel routine. This doesn't harm and is safe.

My original sentence started with "otherwise". And yes, it was designed as a way to get a quick reaction :)

Heh, that's extortion! ;-)

regards Uwe