> - To run the reconfigure script on Windows, we need a python version
> with the logging module included. This is not yet the case for the
> python.exe/dll we ship with LyX1.6.x.
>
> Joost, Uwe, are you able to provide a new python version ?

The installers for LyX 2.0 will of course include all necessary Python modules. I plan to use Python 2.6.5 for LyX 2.0 preview releases or do you want us to ship Python 3.x?

> - I really am frustrated that configure script makes MikTeX install
> packages. Can't we either
> - not install the packages,
> - ask the user to install them.

Automatically installing all LaTeX-packages supported by LyX is in my opinion the most important feature for a LyX installer. MiKTeX and also TeXLive comes only with a basic set of packages. To get a fully functionally LyX version, we check for every LaTeX-package LyX supports and install it if it is not already installed.
To reply to your first question i therefore say NO.
Asking the user for every package is not an option, because this means to bother the user about 50 times if a missing package should be installed.

> For me, it installed "splitindex", "genmisc", "lettrine" and
> "tufte-latex". I'm not sure why I would desperately need these
> packages beforehand.

Because LyX supports them. An average user doesn't know the LaTeX background of LyX. When he's wants to have several indexes, we won't be forced to read how to install a LaTeX-package and that he needs to do that to get his LyX file compilable.

> As you all know, it takes ages to install these packages,
> and that's not what a user expects when running LyX for the first
> time. We have to improve on this.

Well, you only have to do this once - the first time LaTeX is installed on your computer. Later on, only a few LaTeX-packages might be installed or updated. The aim of both installers is to install a fully functional LyX version and to keep the tricky LaTeX-package handling away from new users. (As the first installation of LaTeX needs some times, my installer shows a console Window with the LaTeX-installation progress, so that you see what happens and that you can go drink a coffee or do something else on your PC.)

regards Uwe