Uwe Stöhr wrote:
> > As you all know, it takes ages to install these packages,
> > and that's not what a user expects when running LyX for the first
> > time. We have to improve on this.
>
> Well, you only have to do this once - the first time LaTeX is installed on
> your computer. Later on, only a few LaTeX-packages might be installed or
> updated.

while i understand all the arguments above, the new win installs on friends
computers is somewhat embarassing because of it literally takes ages.
the main reason is miktex online updates. couldn't we ship those latex
packages, slip them into proper dirs after miktex install and call update
only after this? on most cases only very few updates would appear i guess.

pavel