On 8/7/2010 12:16 PM, Jean-Marc Lasgouttes wrote:
I do that because it is an idea that has been in the air for some time.
It is actually
a bit tasteless for an application to have an color theme different from
everyone else. Do
you tolerate that firefox or openoffice have white text background? If
you set your default
background to light gray in windows, it it normal that lyx keeps its
"linen" thing? Or if you
use some "reverse video" scheme?

It makes total sense to use the OS colors instead of a fixed custom color scheme. Personally I prefer the standard Windows colors and was very surprised by the odd LyX colors after installing it the first time. Initially I even thought it was low-quality software since it couldn't get such a basic thing right :) I think for many people the initial impression of the UI is very important.

Respecting the OS default colors is also important for visually impaired persons who use one of the special color schemes.

On a side note, I doubt the current background color is good from an ergonomic point of view. Instead of changing the background color, it's probably better to dim the backlight instead.

Joost