Frank> On Mon, Jan 15, 2001 at 04:01:31PM +0900, R. Lahaye wrote:
>> Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 16:01:31 +0900 From: "R. Lahaye"
>> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> To: Frank Derichsweiler
>> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> CC:
>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] Subject: Re: Release LyX 1.1.6
>>
>> Frank Derichsweiler wrote: > A little problem within a linux
>> environment: Having no kernel header > files (within
>> /usr/src/linux) the configure script runs and produces > the error
>> forms.h not found, which is IMHO misleading. Perhaps the >
>> configure can be adopted to check for the kernel include files >
>> separatly.
>>
>> forms.h is part of the development package of xforms, the one you
>> need when compiling LyX yourself.

Frank> Yes, I know that. To me a little bit clearer: I installed the
Frank> xforms development stuff and all the other necessary libs and
Frank> headers. Only the linux *kernel* headers were missing.

We have something related in the INSTALL file, section "Problems":

  o Configure will seemingly fail to find xpm.h and forms.h on linux if
    you did a 'make mrproper' in the kernel directory, because this
    removes some symbolic links that are needed for compilation. A 'make
    symlinks' in linux kernel sources fixes that.

However, having a header file which relies on kernel headers is a BUG
in itself (according to Linus himself). You should probably find out
which headers do that, and see whether an upgrade would be a proper
cure.