>writes:

Frank> Situation: /usr/src/linux is *not* existent (for reasons of
Frank> space), i.e. no kernel header files at all.

I understand that. I was just pointing out that the problems were
related and that we could probably change the description to fit your
problem (supposing people actually read INSTALL, of course ;).

Frank> The lyx configure
Frank> script fails with the error message "forms.h" not found. That
Frank> message is false, because the forms.h is found but the test
Frank> code cannot be compiled because of the missing kernel header
Frank> files.

Could you show us the relevant part of config.log? Before writing
configure test blindly, one has to know what header file decided that
it should have access to kernel headers.