On Mon, Jan 15, 2001 at 12:26:32PM +0100, Jean-Marc Lasgouttes wrote:
> We have something related in the INSTALL file, section "Problems":
>
>   o Configure will seemingly fail to find xpm.h and forms.h on linux if
>     you did a 'make mrproper' in the kernel directory, because this
>     removes some symbolic links that are needed for compilation. A 'make
>     symlinks' in linux kernel sources fixes that.
>
> However, having a header file which relies on kernel headers is a BUG
> in itself (according to Linus himself). You should probably find out
> which headers do that, and see whether an upgrade would be a proper
> cure.

Situation: /usr/src/linux is *not* existent (for reasons of space),
i.e. no kernel header files at all. The lyx configure script fails
with the error message "forms.h" not found. That message is false,
because the forms.h is found but the test code cannot be compiled
because of the missing kernel header files.
Reproducing /usr/src/linux form the .tar.gz and starting again the
configure works fine as lyx also does.
My idea is to put a *new test*  into the lyx configure script for just
testing the availability of the required kernel header
files. (Unfortunaltey I do not know which files exactly are relevant).
That is just a suggestion to improve the configure script.

Frank