Jean-Marc Lasgouttes wrote:

><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> Frank> On Mon, Jan 15, 2001 at 04:01:31PM +0900, R. Lahaye wrote:
> >> Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 16:01:31 +0900 From: "R. Lahaye"
> >> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> To: Frank Derichsweiler
> >> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> CC:
> >> [EMAIL PROTECTED] Subject: Re: Release LyX 1.1.6
> >>
> >> Frank Derichsweiler wrote: > A little problem within a linux
> >> environment: Having no kernel header > files (within
> >> /usr/src/linux) the configure script runs and produces > the error
> >> forms.h not found, which is IMHO misleading. Perhaps the >
> >> configure can be adopted to check for the kernel include files >
> >> separatly.
> >>
> >> forms.h is part of the development package of xforms, the one you
> >> need when compiling LyX yourself.
> >>
> Frank> Yes, I know that. To me a little bit clearer: I installed the
> Frank> xforms development stuff and all the other necessary libs and
> Frank> headers. Only the linux *kernel* headers were missing.
>
> We have something related in the INSTALL file, section "Problems":
>
>   o Configure will seemingly fail to find xpm.h and forms.h on linux if
>     you did a 'make mrproper' in the kernel directory, because this
>     removes some symbolic links that are needed for compilation. A 'make
>     symlinks' in linux kernel sources fixes that.
>
> However, having a header file which relies on kernel headers is a BUG
> in itself (according to Linus himself). You should probably find out
> which headers do that, and see whether an upgrade would be a proper
> cure.
>
> JMarc
The problem comes from signal.h and bits/sigcontext.h. There is an
include asm/signal.h
This dependancy was just recently introduced--I think in FormButton
something.

It is true that most dists do not have symbolic links, but they get
around this by copying those headers to /usr/include/asm so that you
have the kernel headers that libc was compiled with. If you compile a
new libc, as I am going to do today, you need to do something like cp -a
/usr/src/linux/include/asm /usr/include/asm or risk having a new kernel
screw up your libc installation.
And yes, when lyx encounters this problem is says that xforms.h is
missing.
Garst