Herbert Voss wrote:

This feature is very useful for LyX because all missing packages are installed while LyX reconfigures.

no, this works as along as Christian has build a cab file of
such a package.

But you can build it and send it to him. I did this in the past to have actual versions of beamer, xcolor and pgf. Christian uploaded the files then within one or two days.

What the TeX-World
really needs is a good package manager for Linux/Windows/Mac. The
MiKTeX one is no _real_ one, because it cannot install
_all_ packages.

Christian is currently hard working to build MiKTeX on Linux. I don't know his plans about the package manager. But he's mostly interested in proposals. So if you have an idea how to make it better, you should contact him.

regards Uwe