> On Aug 13, 2015, at 1:30 PM, Steve Thompson <scth...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> If you used Lyx to create the LaTeX file, then you already have the “helper
> file” to that would be needed to work with the LaTeX. It is just the
> <filename>.lyx file that created it in the first place. For my own work, I do
> this all the time. Create a document with Lyx, and send it to a journal as
> the .tex file with the figure files also attached.
>
> Going the other way just doesn’t work. I can’t imagine an automated routine
> that would look at an arbitrary .tex file and figure out what set of .layout,
>  and template files that could be used to create it again. OTOH, maybe I just
> don’t have sufficient imagination…

Steve -

I do not think you understood me.  Suppose a create a LyX file and use it to
generate a tex file.  I send it to my coauthor who does not use LyX.  He makes
modifications to the LaTex file without changing the front material, and sends
me his Tex file.  I should be able to use tex2lyx to make a revised version  of
my LyX file.  But this requires many corrections by hand.

Hal