> On Aug 13, 2015, at 2:31 PM, Steve Thompson <scth...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hal,
> I think I did understand. You want your collaborator to be able to make
> arbitrary changes to the .tex file, then have tex2lyx figure out how to
> create a new .lyx file. But your collaborator could have done anything. That
> makes the “modified” file no different from any other completely arbitrary
> new input file.
> Steve
>

> Steve -
>
> I do not think you understood me.  Suppose a create a LyX file and use it to
> generate a tex file.  I send it to my coauthor who does not use LyX.  He
> makes modifications to the LaTex file without changing the front material,
> and sends me his Tex file.  I should be able to use tex2lyx to make a revised
> version  of my LyX file.  But this requires many corrections by hand.
>
> Hal

Steve -

First of all, tex2lyx already comes close to making a good LyX file.  The main
problem is that there always seem to be a handful or errors that must be fixed
before the file will run.  For some reason the program cannot handle options
like \begin{thm}[Main Lemma], but also other options.  It also seems that
comments in the Latex file can sometimes produce errors.  A huge annoyance is
that theorems, etc. are displayed in ERT.

I understand that for arbitrary LaTex files some of these issues maybe very
complicated or impossible, but what I am asking for does not involve arbitrary
files.  Let’s take an easy case.  Suppose my coauthor only makes changes
between \begin{document} and \end{document} of the LaTex file, and does not use
any new constructs.  Shouldn’t it be possible, perhaps with a helper file that
records settings and any other special issues, to make a good LyX version?  Or
even easier, shouldn’t I be able to export a Latex file and then without
changing it, import it and get the same LyX file back.  Yes, I know there is no
reason to do this, but it is a benchmark.

Hal