Hal,

I think I did understand. You want your collaborator to be able to make
arbitrary changes to the .tex file, then have tex2lyx figure out how to create
a new .lyx file. But your collaborator could have done anything. That makes the
“modified” file no different from any other completely arbitrary new input
file.

Steve

Steve -

I do not think you understood me.  Suppose a create a LyX file and use it to
generate a tex file.  I send it to my coauthor who does not use LyX.  He makes
modifications to the LaTex file without changing the front material, and sends
me his Tex file.  I should be able to use tex2lyx to make a revised version  of
my LyX file.  But this requires many corrections by hand.

Hal