Thanks, Richard.

That seems like a step in the right direction.
In the LyX functions user guide I indeed read about command sequences.
One interesting point is that you can toggle between languages using the
language lfun,
with no arguments.
However, I still cannot find a way for a single shortcut to do exactly
what I want.
That is because LyX does not capture shortcuts used for system keyboard
layout toggle.
So, it's not possible to set a shortcut of Alt + Shift -> language toggle.
I would not mind having to use another shortcut, as long as it's only 1,
to have the appropriate results.
For example, something like that would require an lfun sequence like:
<layout toggle> ; <language toggle>.
I still cannot achieve the layout toggle.
I checked out keyboard mappings a bit, but to no avail.

Another thing that caught my eye is that you can control LyX from other
programs using lfuns.
So, I though as a last resort solution to write a bash script that
senses the layout toggle and sends
the appropriate lfun to LyX. However, in the lfuns manual, I only found
a small reference to that feature
at the beginning. Is there any detailed documentation about this?

Cheers.