Hi Rich,

If your JabRef format is biblatex, are you using LyX appropriately?
https://wiki.lyx.org/BibTeX/Biblatex

Otherwise, make sure you've updated to the latest Jabref. It has some tools
to validate the bib(la)tex files (Menu Quality > Check Integrity, and Menu
Quality >  Cleanup entries > Convert to biblatex), etc. But beware of the
many warnings about small things like non-standard author formatting which
doesn't matter (the integrity check can produce a lot of noise). I had a
problem once with a badly encoded accented character in the .bib file that
caused LyX to just not finish; it took me hours to find it (before I knew
that Jabref had those tools).

Cheers,

C. Fuhrman