On Jan 23, 2023, at 7:09 AM, Dr Eberhard Lisse <nos...@lisse.na> wrote:
> Why would I try and install a VM on an M1 (ie an EMULATOR for a
> different processor)

Virtualization is not emulation. An emulator (like WINE) makes use of a
software bridge to simulate a different hardware environment, with a high cost
in performance; software running on an emulator interacts with the bridge, not
directly with the hardware. Software running in a Parallels VM runs directly on
the native hardware at native, or near native, speeds. On a Mac running Apple
Silicon, you create an native Arm VM with Parallels and you install an Arm
version of Linux in the VM. There is no emulation.

> and install Linux, of which most distributions do
> not have the latest and greatest LyX and or TeX(live)

So you find one that does (e.g., Kali and, soon, Fedora), easy-peasy. It’s also
super easy to compile the latest and greatest source yourself under Linux (not
that that’s everyone’s cup o’ tea).

> to fix a bug that
> is almost certainly going to be fixed soon and can be reasonably easily
> circumvented until then?

Well, I admit that I didn’t say so explicitly, but I wasn’t really suggesting
that one purchase and install Parallels just to fix the bug (which hopefully is
going to be fixed soon — though if it isn’t, it won’t be Stephan’s fault, it
will be due to some deeper problem with MacOS). I was assuming that one might
have Parallels installed already or have independent reasons for purchasing it.
For such folks, the VM solution (even if temporary) seems to me to be a
reasonable one.

> Makes no sense to me, whatsoever.

Hope it makes at least a bit of sense to you now. ;-)

-chris