On Thu, Feb 23, 2023 at 03:42:51PM +0100, Saša Janiška wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Feb 2023 07:46:17 -0500
> Scott Kostyshak <skost...@lyx.org> wrote:
>
> Hello Scott,
>
> > On Thu, Feb 23, 2023 at 01:07:03PM +0100, Saša Janiška wrote:
>
> > I've heard great things about pdfpc and also Pympress. For Pympress,
> > then notes are embedded in the .pdf file themselves (by adding a
> > right/left side of PDF pages I think).
>
> Does Pympress use Beamer notes embedded within LyX file?

In LyX, a "Beamer note" is just an inset, so it is saved in the .lyx
file as any inset (e.g., like a URL inset or a Note inset). There is
also a Note environment, and it is saved like any environment.

When compiling to PDF, you need to add some preamble code, otherwise the
Note contents will be ignored (by Beamer). I'm using this basic setup:

% https://tex.stackexchange.com/a/21872/12212
\usepackage{pgfpages}
\setbeamertemplate{note page}[plain]
\setbeameroption{show notes on second screen=right}

> Btw, I've installed it and it looks great, but have to figure out if
> the setup
> - multiple displays etc. are eas easy as with pdfpc since presentation
> will be done by not-so-tech-savvy person. :-)

One tip: sometimes I think Pympress gets confused and is not sure which
monitor is for you and which is for the audience. If it starts up the
wrong way, press "s" to swap. Just in case though, you might want to
make sure the presenter notes on the first slide aren't too embarrassing
if they are accidentally revealed to the audience :).

> > Indeed you have to use the Pympress viewer.
>
> Yeah, similar as with pdfpc..
>
> > I'm not sure how to use Evince with presentation notes. I've never
> > tried that.
>
> I am sure Pympres can handle speaker notes as pdfpc...but have to find
> out how to compile presentation by using "video" slide...

I have used a video slide successfully before with Pympress. I remember
searching and I think I found it is also supported by pdfpc but I could
not test it. Also with Pympress, I remember it worked on one computer
and for some reason did not work on the other. I did not narrow it down
to whether it was a difference in Pympress viewer versions, or what, but
I did come away with the feeling that it was "fragile".

This week and next are a bit busy for me. How time-sensitive is this? I
can try to find time to make a full Pympress example and send you the
.lyx file and video file and see if it works for you. Would that help?

Scott