Pierre> I my case when I tried to start the spellchecker on a French
Pierre> (francais) document (french-gutenberg to be more precise). It
Pierre> just hangs and stays blocked for a while I imagine it runs
Pierre> into an infinite loop until a time out is reached.

How is the ispell dictionary named? You should be sure that it is
named 'french', since this is the name that the spellchecker wil try.
A solution is to make a symbolic link in the directory where the
dictionaries are located francais->franch.

JMarc