I occassionally use diction and style, almost exclusively on first draft.
I don't rely on them to fix grammar -- I don't have patience for much that
is wrongly identified as erroneous. I do use them to identify long
sentences and spend my time thinking very carefull about better ways to
make my point (and sometimes discover either that I don't have a one or
that there is a better one). I pay some attention to a few indices and I
work at communicating with whatever audience I am targetting (student,
professional peers, dense administrators, general public). Since long
words are penalized and technical terms tend to be long, I don't get
overly concerned about the indices.

I always export to ascii and am not looking for a grammar checker that is
intergrated with lyx.

Clarity and economy of language. Ruthlessly edit out 1st draft
indulgences.

--
Mark Hansel
PO Box 41