It may be an issue. fifo pipes are a unix speciality. Nonetheless, first see if the pipes are working in LyX. See <http://article.gmane.org/gmane.editors.lyx.general/11454>http://article.gmane.org/gmane.editors.lyx.general/11454

--
Angus

I tried the directions on the said page.
When using cmd prompt It doesnot recognise lyx as a programme or a batchfile.
When using Cygwin bash shell it cannot open a lyx file and says could not access x windows
when trying to debug I get the message
$ lyx -dbg lyxserver
Setting debug level to lyxserver
Debugging 'lyxserver' <External control interface>
lyx:can't open display
Lyx:unable to access X display,exiting

what should I do?
I use startlyx.bat provided by the cygwin port to run lyx.
regards
vivek